Thursday, August 18, 2011

Senior Year, Community & Leadership

Introducing today’s guest blogger, Alyssa Sutter, a fantastic example of our best thing going in Atchison County: youth! Alyssa is the daughter of Kevin & Shelli Sutter, the sister of Ryan, and the girlfriend of Ethan. She is a hard worker, as evidenced by multiple part-time jobs (Hy-Vee, Lesher Pumpkin Patch, babysitting) and school organizations (FBLA, FCA, NHS, NSHSS, Interact, and Culture Club). She is also, naturally, a leader in her school and community (Student Council President, FCCLA President, Junior Auxiliary President). I’ll stop bragging on her now and let her tell you a little about why she loves Atchison County…

My name is Alyssa, and I am a senior at Tarkio High School. When I was asked by Monica to write this blog, I wasn’t for sure what I was going to say. I’ll start by telling you a little about myself. I’ve lived in Atchison County my whole life. I was born in Fairfax, lived outside of Rock Port, lived in Rock Port, lived in Tarkio, and now I live outside of Westboro. My two main hobbies are golfing, and photography. I've been looking forward to my senior year, so I can prepare myself for the next step of my life. College. [= I hope that I can grow as a leader and become a role model for younger students. This is the year I’ve been waiting for; I’m going to embrace it.

What I like about Atchison County, is that you know everyone, or at least know of them. Since I've lived all around the county, I don't have as much rivalry towards the other schools. I can support them as well. I love that every town has a gathering to bring the community closer together. Fairfax has the Fairfax Fair. Tarkio has Friendship Day. Rock Port has Old Fashion Saturday Night. Westboro even has Lord’s Acre Day.

Growing up in a small town, I’ve been given many opportunities that just wouldn’t have been possible in a big city, such as being able to organize a community event. Last year I had the chance to organize Friendship Day with my best friend, Taylor. In a big city, it would be hard for a teenager to organize a community gathering. When tornado hit Joplin, Taylor and I collected donations to be sent down. Something that’s great about Atchison County is that whenever someone tries to do something beneficial, there is always someone that will back them up and help them out.

Talk to you soon. God bless.









One of Alyssa's photographs, taken on her dad's farm in Atchison County. Talented, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment